Community Overview | City of Belpre

Community Overview

belriver1 Community OverviewLocated along the banks of the Ohio River at River Mile Post 184 in scenic Southeastern Ohio, The City of Belpre is a community that blends a rich history with a promising present and future. Situated conveniently near the intersection of two major highways,   I-77 and U.S. 50, the Belpre area offers easy access to a number of major cities. Belpre is located only 114 miles from Columbus, 150 miles from Pittsburgh, 100 miles from Huntington and 285 miles from Washington, D.C.

Nearly 7,000 individuals call Belpre home, however, the city is in the heart of the Mid-Ohio Valley which is home to more than 100,000.

 Community OverviewThroughout its history and continuing today, much of the city’s identity has revolved around the Ohio River. The early settlers in the region traveled down the river and made Belpre the second permanent American settlement in the Northwest Territory in 1789. Over the years Belpre grew and prospered. In later years truck farming became the largest business in the area. During the 1950′s and 60′s came the growth of the chemical industry, especially plastics. This growth overshadowed the farming industry, and many truck farmers sold their land for housing developments.

Today, the Ohio River provides residents of Belpre with a place for recreation through boating, fishing, water skiing and more. Located on the banks of the Ohio River, Civitan Park in Belpre overlooks historic Blennerhassett Island and serves as the current focal point of the community.

Belpre is not only known around the world for its past history and heritage, but also for its present. As the home to Lee Middleton Dolls, Belpre can clearly lay claim to the title of “The Baby Doll Capital of the World.” In addition, Belpre is the home to the Founders Day Festival in April, The Annual Belpre Area Homecoming Celebration in August, the Apple Butter stir-Off in October and the Holiday Lights Festival in December.

Come to visit and you may want to stay!